Monday, December 22, 2008

Do you participate in "Santa"? Why or why not?

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course. Seeing my kids face light up is priceless.

Anonymous said...

No. We teach the story of St. Nick and that that is where the story of Santa comes from. That St. Nick wanted to do something nice for people and other people thought that was a good idea and did it too.

We teach our kids that God is the one who gives us our gifts. He is the one who provides for us.

We don't want to lie to our kids and go to all the trouble of pretending to be Santa.

After all, if we lie to them about Santa what else will they question?

We do tell them that some people believe in Santa and we need to respect that and not tell them they are wrong.

Anonymous said...

OH yeah!!! I love it....Even now that I'm the mom, I can't sleep on Christmas Eve! ; )

Anonymous said...

So Anonymous #2....

No tooth fairy?
No Easter bunny?

When your 3 year old draws you a picture do you tell them they need to work more on staying in the lines and not scribble over it, Or do you lie and tell them it's perfect!?!

Just curious.

Anonymous said...

Nope. No tooth fairy. No Easter Bunny.

And as far as my children's art work...beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Our children are precious and we cherish them. I don't tell them it's perfect...it is beautiful and they did a great job.

You may not agree with us not celebrating santa, but our children are not deprived or mistreated. We just chose not to have our gifts come from Santa.

We chose to celebrate the birth of our Savior. Plus, Christmas is not about gifts and we often try to take the focus off of that.

Anonymous said...

Oh I respect you for your choice! But, I don't appreciate when people who DON'T "do Santa" say that those of us who do are lying to our kids.

We too, don't focus just on getting gifts but doing for others. We clean out their rooms at the first to December and donate toys they don't use anymore. We also do service projects with our kids each Christmas so they are learning to do things for other people.

We're both right, and both are showing our kids the real meaning of Christmas, we just get there in different ways.

Anonymous said...

We do. And the reason is because when I was a kid my parents were religious freaks and wanted us to not believe in Santa.

I am a Christian and I think Santa provides a very good lesson. A lesson of giving to others anonymously. We always deliver anonymous gifts to families in need and call ourselves Santa Subs.

We teach about Jesus' birth all season long.

We tell our child that not all kids believe in Santa. When kids are born their parents have to sign a clause as to whether or not they will allow Santa to visit.

We had to come up with something creative because of all the people out there that want to ruin our child's merriment and awe on Christmas morning.

We are surrounded by fanatical religious family who think it is pagan to celebrate with clause.

To them I say God is Love!!
Santa is giving...no harm done!
I will get off my soapbox now

Merry CHRISTmas

Anonymous said...

We really haven't pushed it at all. My kids know about Santa and we give them one thing from Santa but we have never really talked about him much.

Anonymous said...

How many of you who "do Santa" tell your kids the truth when they start to question if Santa really exists? Do you try to convince them he is really real?

For me, that's where the "lying" issue begins. If you can play Santa for your kids and your family plays Santa for other families, I think it is great. If we all know it's a game we play to bless others.

But if you press the Santa deal, and have to convince your kids he is real (like my parents did)...just to get that expression on Christmas morning...then I would have a problem for one reason. If you tell your kids Santa is real, and some day they'll learn that he isn't, then what will they think of you telling them God is real?

To me, it's not worth the risk...or the kodak moment. Joy isn't only found wearing a red suit.

Anonymous said...

We play Santa, but our kids know that WE are their Santa. We do the gift from "him" but we never really push it in anyway.

I agree with "December 22, 2008 11:34 AM", enjoy it while they enjoy it but don't force it.

Anonymous said...

Santa still comes and I'm 27. I love Santa.

I plan to have Santa if I ever have kids.

You lie to your kids when they ask if Santa is real and you say yes.

Anonymous said...

We have Santa at our house, and love it! My oldest has questioned it, and we talk about reality, but he knows enough to keep it to himself.

Anonymous said...

Nope, we feel it is lying. They do like to pretend and we don't prohibit that, but they know the truth.

Anonymous said...

We weren't going to do Santa, but it seems like other people almost "force" you to do it. They start talking to your two year old about Santa and there it goes.

I grew up not believing in Santa, my mom thought it would keep us from believing in Jesus when we found out Santa was real. As a parent I do enjoy it, but the second one of my kids ask about it, I'll tell them the truth.

Right now, they enjoy it and we enjoy it. When it's over, it's over.

Anonymous said...

Sure, but I know a family who doesn't. they say they don't want their children to associate Santa/Easter Bunny, etc with Jesus. They say they don't want them to get the whole make believe, I can't see Santa thing confused with real faith.