Yes I think they should. Every other country out there has its own main language and aren't out there catering to the people who cant speak it. Why shouldnt the US do the same? I am from Texas (born and bred), and we have a ton of Mexicans in my hometown. In fact I believe that the population majority is Mexican. I have no racial qualms at all. In fact my grandparents hosted over 27 foreign exchange students in their home over about 25 years. I love other backgrounds, learning new cultures and really just getting to know new and different people that came from somewhere different than me. This is my point though... when those exchange students came to the states, they were required to learn english, just as a person from the US in the same program would be required to learn the language of whichever country they are going to. It infuriates me that people move to this country, and feel absolutely no need to learn the language that is spoken by the vast majority. Its like people have no respect at all and only think of their own lives and how "difficult" it would be for them to learn english. Sorry for my rant but this is just one topic that I have to stand firm on. I think everyone here should KNOW how to speak english, and we should stop catering to those who dont. If you dont like it, move back to wherever you came from.
The "Go back to where you came from" comments always seem HATEFUL to me. Consider the history of this country. Do not try to say that everyone who came here in the past had to learn English, or that YOUR ancestors did (because you speak it). It is true that most who came here in the past learned it, or their children did, but there are still areas (populated with lots of little great-grandmas, I'm thinking) where the language of the "old country" is still spoken.
In my opinion, it is more Anti-American to think that there is only one good point of view. If English were the official language, would citizens of voting age be able to read the ballot in their primary language? Or should people's opinions only count if they are literate in English? That is so arbitrary and wrong.
Do I get frustrated when I can't get help at WalMart because the employee doesn't understand my question? Totally. But I try to not be hateful about it.
I also try really hard in my life to not tell people who disagree with me to leave, and though this is a struggle, I refrain from calling them names like crazy or Anti-American.
No, I don't think English should be "declared" the national language. I don't know any of the pros or cons of making that declaration. To me, though, doing so would send a message of "you're not welcome here." And I don't think that philosophy is what this country was founded upon. Consider these words... "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me: I lift my lamp beside the golden door."
Hey, #6: I find it interesting that you say you have "no racial qualms," mention how welcoming and interested you and your family are, and in the next breath speak in hateful and exclusionary terms using a racial tag like language.
The truth is that, while "every other country has its own main language" (as you say), no one is clamoring to go to ANY of those other countries the way they are to America.
In America, non-English-speakers congregate in population centers (large and small) precicely so they can live their daily lives in their first language. The situation would be THE SAME if large numbers of Americans (and people from every other nation on Earth) were flocking to, say, Cambodia they way they're flocking here.
America herself is, and has been for nearly 400 years, a polyglot. Don't think that, just because you're here now, you have ownership of our shores, or that you can make a bastion of language against the millions of United States LEGAL CITIZENS who don't speak English.
And that's what it would be if English became the official language of the U.S. All official publications, documents, textbooks, standardized tests, tax booklets, ballots, etc., would BY LAW be in English. It would exclude them. You seem to want that, but that isn't right or fair.
We can't even claim English as America's first language. Not even in Plymouth and Virginia. On the whole continent, the Native Peoples spoke hundreds of different toungues. And in Florida, Texas and California it was Spanish. And in Michigan it was French. And in Alaska it was Russian. And in New Amsterdam it was Dutch. English has grown in popularity, sure, long enough for people to become complacent with it. But now that other languages MUST be allowed for and serviced, many are uncomfortable with that fact of life.
And you, #6, advise them to "move back to wherever they came from." But what about you yourself? Will you return to the old country (seeing as how we're ALL from someplace else)? Will you allow the Pawnee or the Iroquois to live in your backyard? What if a native-born citizen speaks ONLY Korean or Farsi? Where will they move? You have revealed your racial qualms.
Granted, English is the "language of success" (for lack of a better term). One must be fluent in English to have a certain measure of success in business or education, for example, but to force English on the population? That goes too far.
I can tell you as a business owner, it is so frustrating to have people apply for jobs and not be able to fill out an application.Much less communicate properly...be here at 7am. See you tomorrow and they never show up. Can't tell you how many people I have just hired on the spot because I knew they wouldn't understand all the other information I needed to give them.
Not to mention how many fake greencards we have seen...the kind where all three friends have the same finger print on their id's.
And you would not believe how many of people drive to the office to fill out an application just to tell me in the interview that they DO NOT have a driver's licence.
Speaking English would really help my frustration!
Oh, that old question? People really believe that if every foreign speaker was suddenly gone, America would choke and die. Here's what would happen: if everyone who did not speak English fluently suddenly disappeared, the fluent speakers would be surprised at first, then there would be a rush to fill the jobs that were left open. Fruits and veggies would still get picked, homes and hotels would still get cleaned, and fast food restaurants would still open for business. America adjusts when it needs to, and life goes on.
So don't give us any crap about this whole place would grind to a halt.
To my way of thinking, there must be some essentially cohesive element that binds a society. Some cultures rely on religion, others customs. Because we are so diverse one common denominator can be a common language. By declaring English official does not forbid the use of other languages. It only declares that this language will be recognized for political and business purposes. No one is deprived of their native tongue, neither is anyone burdened by the added expense of multi-lingual signage etc. I have no problem accepting English as the glue that binds the citizens of these United States together.
I bet not everyone really believes everything they write on here. I am sure some people write stuff just for the shock factor or to cause a bigger discussion.
Genesis 11:1-9 Now the whole earth had one language and the same words. And as people migrated from the east, they found a plain in the land of Shinar and settled there. And they said to one another, "Come, let us make bricks, and burn them thoroughly." And they had brick for stone, and bitumen for mortar. Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city and a tower with its top in the heavens, and let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be dispersed over the face of the whole earth." And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of man had built. And the LORD said, "Behold, they are one people, and they have all one language, and this is only the beginning of what they will do. And nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them. Come, let us go down and there confuse their language, so that they may not understand one another’s speech." So the LORD dispersed them from there over the face of all the earth, and they left off building the city. Therefore its name was called Babel, because there the LORD confused the language of all the earth. And from there the LORD dispersed them over the face of all the earth.
Most of these questions are now submitted. Please feel free to submit your question and see how others feel. Email me here with a subject line of "Anonymous Truth"
22 comments:
Ya, Ja, Oui, Sì, Ναι, はい, Sim, 그렇습니다, Да
No
YES!! If you don't like it or can't speak it, then LEAVE!!
Yes. It is taught in almost every country as a second language from First Grade anyway.
of course, this is a no brainer. if anyone says otherwise then they are a crazy anti-American and you should LEAVE!!!!
Yes I think they should. Every other country out there has its own main language and aren't out there catering to the people who cant speak it. Why shouldnt the US do the same? I am from Texas (born and bred), and we have a ton of Mexicans in my hometown. In fact I believe that the population majority is Mexican. I have no racial qualms at all. In fact my grandparents hosted over 27 foreign exchange students in their home over about 25 years. I love other backgrounds, learning new cultures and really just getting to know new and different people that came from somewhere different than me. This is my point though... when those exchange students came to the states, they were required to learn english, just as a person from the US in the same program would be required to learn the language of whichever country they are going to. It infuriates me that people move to this country, and feel absolutely no need to learn the language that is spoken by the vast majority. Its like people have no respect at all and only think of their own lives and how "difficult" it would be for them to learn english. Sorry for my rant but this is just one topic that I have to stand firm on. I think everyone here should KNOW how to speak english, and we should stop catering to those who dont. If you dont like it, move back to wherever you came from.
The "Go back to where you came from" comments always seem HATEFUL to me.
Consider the history of this country. Do not try to say that everyone who came here in the past had to learn English, or that YOUR ancestors did (because you speak it). It is true that most who came here in the past learned it, or their children did, but there are still areas (populated with lots of little great-grandmas, I'm thinking) where the language of the "old country" is still spoken.
In my opinion, it is more Anti-American to think that there is only one good point of view. If English were the official language, would citizens of voting age be able to read the ballot in their primary language? Or should people's opinions only count if they are literate in English? That is so arbitrary and wrong.
Do I get frustrated when I can't get help at WalMart because the employee doesn't understand my question? Totally. But I try to not be hateful about it.
I also try really hard in my life to not tell people who disagree with me to leave, and though this is a struggle, I refrain from calling them names like crazy or Anti-American.
Yes
YES
YES. Other countries have national languages and require that you learn it if you are a resident seekig employment.
No, I don't think English should be "declared" the national language. I don't know any of the pros or cons of making that declaration. To me, though, doing so would send a message of "you're not welcome here." And I don't think that philosophy is what this country was founded upon. Consider these words... "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me: I lift my lamp beside the golden door."
Hey, #6:
I find it interesting that you say you have "no racial qualms," mention how welcoming and interested you and your family are, and in the next breath speak in hateful and exclusionary terms using a racial tag like language.
The truth is that, while "every other country has its own main language" (as you say), no one is clamoring to go to ANY of those other countries the way they are to America.
In America, non-English-speakers congregate in population centers (large and small) precicely so they can live their daily lives in their first language. The situation would be THE SAME if large numbers of Americans (and people from every other nation on Earth) were flocking to, say, Cambodia they way they're flocking here.
America herself is, and has been for nearly 400 years, a polyglot. Don't think that, just because you're here now, you have ownership of our shores, or that you can make a bastion of language against the millions of United States LEGAL CITIZENS who don't speak English.
And that's what it would be if English became the official language of the U.S. All official publications, documents, textbooks, standardized tests, tax booklets, ballots, etc., would BY LAW be in English. It would exclude them. You seem to want that, but that isn't right or fair.
We can't even claim English as America's first language. Not even in Plymouth and Virginia. On the whole continent, the Native Peoples spoke hundreds of different toungues. And in Florida, Texas and California it was Spanish. And in Michigan it was French. And in Alaska it was Russian. And in New Amsterdam it was Dutch. English has grown in popularity, sure, long enough for people to become complacent with it. But now that other languages MUST be allowed for and serviced, many are uncomfortable with that fact of life.
And you, #6, advise them to "move back to wherever they came from." But what about you yourself? Will you return to the old country (seeing as how we're ALL from someplace else)? Will you allow the Pawnee or the Iroquois to live in your backyard? What if a native-born citizen speaks ONLY Korean or Farsi? Where will they move? You have revealed your racial qualms.
Granted, English is the "language of success" (for lack of a better term). One must be fluent in English to have a certain measure of success in business or education, for example, but to force English on the population? That goes too far.
I can tell you as a business owner, it is so frustrating to have people apply for jobs and not be able to fill out an application.Much less communicate properly...be here at 7am. See you tomorrow and they never show up. Can't tell you how many people I have just hired on the spot because I knew they wouldn't understand all the other information I needed to give them.
Not to mention how many fake greencards we have seen...the kind where all three friends have the same finger print on their id's.
And you would not believe how many of people drive to the office to fill out an application just to tell me in the interview that they DO NOT have a driver's licence.
Speaking English would really help my frustration!
What do you think would happen to our country if every person here who did not speak fluent English suddenly disappeared?
it would be a lot cleaner!!!!
Oh, that old question? People really believe that if every foreign speaker was suddenly gone, America would choke and die. Here's what would happen: if everyone who did not speak English fluently suddenly disappeared, the fluent speakers would be surprised at first, then there would be a rush to fill the jobs that were left open. Fruits and veggies would still get picked, homes and hotels would still get cleaned, and fast food restaurants would still open for business. America adjusts when it needs to, and life goes on.
So don't give us any crap about this whole place would grind to a halt.
To my way of thinking, there must be some essentially cohesive element that binds a society. Some cultures rely on religion, others customs. Because we are so diverse one common denominator can be a common language.
By declaring English official does not forbid the use of other languages. It only declares that this language will be recognized for political and business purposes. No one is deprived of their native tongue, neither is anyone burdened by the added expense of multi-lingual signage etc.
I have no problem accepting English as the glue that binds the citizens of these United States together.
"It would be a lot cleaner!"
Bigotry. Right there out in the open. I am sad and disgusted.
Perhaps you are just saying that with fewer people there would be less pollution, but I don't think that's what you are saying.
cleaner?
cleaner?
I hope something other than how I read it. If not, that is a horrible thing to say.
It's good that this is anonymous so that people can say what they really think and expose their narrow-minded and mean ways.
However, it isn't truly anonymous. Nothing is. If you are writing hateful things, YOU know that you said it.
If you are so inclined, check out Matthew 6:4, 6:6, and 6:18. What kind of reward do these "cleaner" and "go back" ideas reap?
I bet not everyone really believes everything they write on here. I am sure some people write stuff just for the shock factor or to cause a bigger discussion.
Genesis 11:1-9
Now the whole earth had one language and the same words. And as people migrated from the east, they found a plain in the land of Shinar and settled there. And they said to one another, "Come, let us make bricks, and burn them thoroughly." And they had brick for stone, and bitumen for mortar. Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city and a tower with its top in the heavens, and let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be dispersed over the face of the whole earth." And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of man had built. And the LORD said, "Behold, they are one people, and they have all one language, and this is only the beginning of what they will do. And nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them. Come, let us go down and there confuse their language, so that they may not understand one another’s speech." So the LORD dispersed them from there over the face of all the earth, and they left off building the city. Therefore its name was called Babel, because there the LORD confused the language of all the earth. And from there the LORD dispersed them over the face of all the earth.
Post a Comment