This is an experiment to see how honest people can be if they don't have to identify themselves. Some silly, some deep, but all require honesty.
Friday, November 14, 2008
Reader Rally
Fridays will now be Reader Rally.
The first one here leave a question in the comment section. The rest of us will answer YOUR question. Just keep in mind the goal of this blog. Make people think and be honest with themselves.
I look forward to seeing what you are curious about.
21 comments:
Anonymous
said...
What is your opinion on tattoos? Do you think it's wrong for a Christian to get one?
if tattoos are WRONG then so is pierced ears, wearing makeup, dying your hair, and plastic surgery....anything that makes your body different than God intended
I don't think there is anything wrong with them if they are tasteful. I have one. It is small and no one can usually see it unless I show it to them. I got it in my early twenties.
i do not think it is wrong. in bible times idol temple priests were tatooed(?) for their god sometimes and that is where the idea it is wrong comes from. there is a command somewhere in Leviticus not to get an idol tatoo. i am too afraid to get one, but i think some of them are really cool
You do realize that if you get one "where only your husband can see" that someone else (read: tattoo artist) spent alot of time "where only your husband" should see, right?!?
Getting a tattoo in and of itself os not wrong. What kind of tattoo is it? What thoughts does it invoke? What does it represent? To me, a tattoo, just like most things, is literally amoral, and by that I mean apart from moral judgment.
Is drinking wrong? I was raised thinking that only people with big problems drink, but now I have different feelings about that, too. Alcohol, like a tattoo, is amoral. It can be used immorally, however.
I don't think tattooing is a black and white issue in the Bible. There is a verse in Leviticus that says not to put marks on your body, but this was written to the Jews under the old law. I'm sure there was a good reason for it: it was probably much more dangerous to tattoo yourself back then, and it was also associated with pagan rituals. God didn't want his people to be associated with pagans or idolatry.
When Christ came, he did away with the old law, and Christians now live under the law of liberty. (see Galatians 3:23-25) However, I think it depends on your reason for doing it. Romans 14:23 says that whatever is not from faith is sin, so you I guess you just have to ask yourself if it's right for YOU or not, and if you feel that getting one will bring glory to God or not.
One other point: just because it's not right for ME to get a tattoo, does not mean that I should judge people who have found freedom in Christ, and feel that it's okay for them.
Also, I don't think every issue in the Bible can be decided this way: some things are clearly forbidden even in the New Testament, but I think this one issue is a matter of your own conscience.
No I don't think it is wrong for Christians to get tattoos.
I have see some that are beautiful works of art. Others I question, what & why?
If I was 25years younger I might have one. I don't have a need or want for one. I have heard of mothers & daughters going and getting matching tattoos. That isn't how I would have bond with my mother. Or as a way to celebrate a birthday.
This like, piercings, haircoloring, selective surgeries and even the clothes style you wear are personal chocies.
My husband and I got tattoos in memory of our son. He is a preacher in a small town. Where his tattoo is, no one sees it, although it is quite large. I don't think there is anything wrong with them, but remember it will be there forever!! I know some people would think different of us if they saw them. Weird how people are about some things. I haven't heard anyone say why exactly, but I know they would.
A tattoo artist is a professional, just like your ob/gyn, or your salon waxing lady. I would go with one on my lower back anyway, still a place only my husband would see.
I wanted a tatoo until I couldn't even show my grandmother my belly button ring. I figured that if I couldn't show here something removable then I better not get the tatoo.
No that I am older, I believe that God doesn't really like it when we tatoo His temple.
I personally don't think any tattoo is going to look good when I am 70. They look unclean to me.The other references to making our bodies look different are more subtle and can easily be removed if need be...except for plastic surgery...that's just a waste of money.I guess I'm in an opinionated mood at the moment.
As long as they are in good taste, I don't see anything wrong with them. I've thought about getting one myself, but I also don't think they look very professional so it would have to be somewhere my work attire would cover it up. Why get one then? If I got one, it would be a reminder for ME about how far I've come...not a fashion statement for anyone else.
Most of these questions are now submitted. Please feel free to submit your question and see how others feel. Email me here with a subject line of "Anonymous Truth"
21 comments:
What is your opinion on tattoos? Do you think it's wrong for a Christian to get one?
I have always wanted one, but now I am past 30 and think it's too late to get one.
I don't think it's wrong.
if tattoos are WRONG then so is pierced ears, wearing makeup, dying your hair, and plastic surgery....anything that makes your body different than God intended
so no, I don't think they are wrong
I don't think there is anything wrong with them if they are tasteful. I have one. It is small and no one can usually see it unless I show it to them. I got it in my early twenties.
I don't think they are wrong, but I think of people differently who have them.
I don't think they are wrong, but I don't think there is anything classy about them. I have never wanted one.
I have always wondered why people get them in places that no one can see unless asked. What is the point in having one then? Just curious.
i do not think it is wrong. in bible times idol temple priests were tatooed(?) for their god sometimes and that is where the idea it is wrong comes from. there is a command somewhere in Leviticus not to get an idol tatoo. i am too afraid to get one, but i think some of them are really cool
i'm against self inflicting pain(read: i'm a wimp), otherwise i would have one. i think i would have one that only my husband could see, sexy.
I see nothing wrong with them and I don't look at those that have them any differently.
You do realize that if you get one "where only your husband can see" that someone else (read: tattoo artist) spent alot of time "where only your husband" should see, right?!?
hmm. . . so you must also be very against any sort of bikini area waxing
Getting a tattoo in and of itself os not wrong. What kind of tattoo is it? What thoughts does it invoke? What does it represent? To me, a tattoo, just like most things, is literally amoral, and by that I mean apart from moral judgment.
Is drinking wrong? I was raised thinking that only people with big problems drink, but now I have different feelings about that, too. Alcohol, like a tattoo, is amoral. It can be used immorally, however.
Thoughts?
I don't think tattooing is a black and white issue in the Bible. There is a verse in Leviticus that says not to put marks on your body, but this was written to the Jews under the old law. I'm sure there was a good reason for it: it was probably much more dangerous to tattoo yourself back then, and it was also associated with pagan rituals. God didn't want his people to be associated with pagans or idolatry.
When Christ came, he did away with the old law, and Christians now live under the law of liberty. (see Galatians 3:23-25) However, I think it depends on your reason for doing it. Romans 14:23 says that whatever is not from faith is sin, so you I guess you just have to ask yourself if it's right for YOU or not, and if you feel that getting one will bring glory to God or not.
One other point: just because it's not right for ME to get a tattoo, does not mean that I should judge people who have found freedom in Christ, and feel that it's okay for them.
Also, I don't think every issue in the Bible can be decided this way: some things are clearly forbidden even in the New Testament, but I think this one issue is a matter of your own conscience.
No I don't think it is wrong for Christians to get tattoos.
I have see some that are beautiful works of art. Others I question, what & why?
If I was 25years younger I might have one. I don't have a need or want for one. I have heard of mothers & daughters going and getting matching tattoos. That isn't how I would have bond with my mother. Or as a way to celebrate a birthday.
This like, piercings, haircoloring,
selective surgeries and even the clothes style you wear are personal chocies.
My husband and I got tattoos in memory of our son. He is a preacher in a small town. Where his tattoo is, no one sees it, although it is quite large. I don't think there is anything wrong with them, but remember it will be there forever!! I know some people would think different of us if they saw them. Weird how people are about some things. I haven't heard anyone say why exactly, but I know they would.
A tattoo artist is a professional, just like your ob/gyn, or your salon waxing lady. I would go with one on my lower back anyway, still a place only my husband would see.
I wanted a tatoo until I couldn't even show my grandmother my belly button ring. I figured that if I couldn't show here something removable then I better not get the tatoo.
No that I am older, I believe that God doesn't really like it when we tatoo His temple.
#2, past thirty is not too late to do anything.
I personally don't think any tattoo is going to look good when I am 70. They look unclean to me.The other references to making our bodies look different are more subtle and can easily be removed if need be...except for plastic surgery...that's just a waste of money.I guess I'm in an opinionated mood at the moment.
As long as they are in good taste, I don't see anything wrong with them. I've thought about getting one myself, but I also don't think they look very professional so it would have to be somewhere my work attire would cover it up. Why get one then? If I got one, it would be a reminder for ME about how far I've come...not a fashion statement for anyone else.
Post a Comment